Beaglebone Green Wireless and resin.io getting started

25440Published On Jul 01,2016 16:44 PMshare0

I've recently got a Beaglebone Green Wireless (BBGW) through the Seeed Beta program. Working for resin.io and we support BBGW on the platform, so I've built a project combining the two technologies.

The idea is to use an environmental sensor with BBGW, and deploy an application onto the board with resin.io to signal changes in the environment by using LED blinks.

I've used a Grove BMP180 Pressure Sensor, which also measures temperature. A red and a blue LED signals increasing and decreasing sensor value (e.g. red for increasing temperature - getting hotter, blue for decreasing temperature - getting colder). When the sensor reading is approximately stable blink both LEDs; when it changes blink the corresponding color; when it changes quickly, then do long blinks.

The whole system can be monitored and controlled remotely over the Internet. Resin.io packages software as Docker images, accepts them over git, and takes care of pushing them out to devices whenever there's an update. Devices and fleets (group of many devices) can easily be added on the web or over the command line. All this makes a quite quick hardware/software project development & management environment.

Let's get started with this project!

Creating a new project on resin.io

Provisioning a device

Plugging the hardware

Writing the environmental monitoring code

Pushing the code to the device

Results and extras

Comment

Gergely
Followers9
Projects5
Components